Table of Contents Hide
Aussies are not the only ones that like watching Australia’s top rugby league. Sports fans from all over the globe like to watch the NRL season unfold year in, and year out. The league attracts some of the world’s best rugby league players, so it’s not surprising that the sport is growing in popularity abroad.
However, whether you are a foreigner or an Australian traveling or living overseas, watching the NRL games live can prove challenging. If you are outside Australia, you might be in a country that blocks Aussie sports due to television rights.
Luckily, there are a few ways to watch live NRL fixtures while outside Australia.
Let’s Take A Closer Look At The Ways Of Watching The NRL
1. Use A VPN Service
NRL fans should consider investing in a top-notch VPN service. Most well-known VPN providers have at least one server located in a major city in Australia. A VPN will help you connect your device to a server located in Australia so it looks like you are “down under”.
Although there are lots of free VPN services out there, consider spending your hard-earned cash on a reputable service instead. Although some free VPNs might have a server in Australia, they often contain ads to help fund the service. If you are streaming a game and ads pop up on your screen, you can expect the stream to slow down. Watching the NRL game with several ads frequently popping up on your screen will cause a lot of frustration, which is why you should consider spending money on a reliable VPN instead.
Another reason why a lot of NRL fans invest in a VPN service is that it allows them to connect to other websites that are blocked abroad. For example, if you are trying to bet on a rugby league game in a foreign country, you might not be able to access an online live casino. A VPN will allow you to gain access to betting sites that are blocked abroad.
2. Find A Genuine Streaming Service
Although it might be tempting to stream NRL games on free streaming sites, users must keep in mind that they are putting their device, and all the sensitive files and folders stored on their device at risk. Plus, watching the NRL games on an illegal streaming service can cause a lot of headaches. With constant pop-up ads and poor-quality streaming links, you might find yourself missing most of the game.
Because the chances of finding a local broadcaster showing the NRL games abroad is highly unlikely, sports fans should consider investing in a genuine streaming service instead. Currently, the most popular streaming service in Australia is the NRL Digital Pass. Those wanting to watch the games without breaking the law can subscribe to the pass for a fee.
However, just because you have paid for the pass, doesn’t mean you will be able to access the site abroad without using a VPN service. If you don’t already have a VPN, check to see if the online streaming service recommends a VPN provider.
3. Watch Replays On Free Streaming Platforms
Although you won’t find live NRL games on popular streaming platforms like YouTube, you will be able to access video highlights. There are tons of NRL videos uploaded to streaming services, and you can access them from almost every country in the world. You will also have several fan channels, official videos from the NRL, and content published by the clubs themselves.
Keeping up with what is going on in the NRL has never been easier thanks to the web. There are multiple sites dedicated to the famous rugby league, and there are lots of NRL groups on social media platforms too. You won’t need to pay a subscription or install a VPN to access most of these sites.
A lot of the clubs in Australia offer supporters a membership subscription. Members are able to access private content published on the club’s official website. For avid fans, this allows them an insight into what is going on in and around their favorite club.
4. Steps To Stream An NRL Game When abroad
- Turn on your device with the VPN already installed. There are VPNs available for mobile devices too.
- Make sure you turn on the VPN before visiting the streaming platform. If you haven’t already signed up for a package, consider trying out a few trial versions first. Most VPN providers allow potential customers the opportunity to use their services before spending a penny. Although these trial versions might only allow the users limited access to the service, it will give you an idea of what it is like to operate. Once you have signed up for a VPN service, you will have to download the application onto your device. Although most VPNs don’t take up a lot of space, make sure you have enough space on your hard drive.
- Once the VPN is installed on your device, click on the server selection. Find a server located in Australia and connect to it. If you can’t find a server located in Australia, you should look to invest in a different VPN service.
- Once you are connected, open the streaming platform and enjoy the game!
5. Tips For Finding A Good VPN That Allows You To Stream NRL Without Slowing Down Your Connection
Before buying a VPN, make sure it has a server in Australia. If it doesn’t, you might find it difficult to access the streaming service. You will be able to find a list of servers on the VPN provider’s official website. If you can’t find the countries where the servers are located, consider making direct contact with the developers. In fact, most reputable VPN providers seem to have multiple servers in different locations throughout the country.
As mentioned earlier, ads can slow down a stream. Almost all paid services don’t have ads, however, some VPN services do. If you are currently running a limited trial version, don’t be surprised if you come across ads. However, when you pay for the service the ads should disappear.